What Can I Expect?
Mediation is a chance for parents and teens to have safe and positive conversations about family disagreements and conflicts at home.
Parents and youth can expect the following in mediation:
- You can tell the mediators what is going on for you and what you hope will happen in mediation.
- With the mediators help, you will search for solutions to the problem.
- Mediators will help you communicate your feelings about what is happening.
- You will work on mutually agreeable solutions.
- Mediators will help you put the solutions in a written agreement as appropriate. All agreements are voluntary and in parties’ language.
Parent-Youth Mediations are free of cost and sessions last no longer than 1.5 hours. All mediations are voluntary and confidential.
How do I prepare for mediation?
Typically, the following are required for a successful mediation:
- All parties recognize that there is a conflict
- All parties agree to mediate
- All parties necessary to make an agreement are able to attend the mediation
- Parties agree to follow rules of common courtesy
- Each party must be capable of making a decision and following through with an agreement
- Parties come prepared to share all relevant concerns and to listen to the other parties’ concerns.
Have any of these concerns?
- House rules about curfew, dating or chores
- Respect and fairness
- Runaway and juvenile justice
- School attendance and grades
… try Parent-Youth Mediation!